Everything You Need to Know about BPS Travel Awards for the 2015 Annual Meeting

Only a month remains before the abstract and travel award deadlines for the Biophysical Society’s 59th Annual Meeting, being held February 7-11, 2015 in Baltimore, Maryland. If you are a student, postdoc, early or mid-career scientist looking for a little extra funding to attend the Annual Meeting, be sure to apply for a BPS Travel Award. Check out the FAQ below to learn more about the application process.

What is the Travel Award application deadline?

October 3. Remember: You MUST submit an abstract by October 1 in order to be eligible for a Travel Award.

Can I submit any part of my application late?

No. ALL parts of your application are due by the October 3 deadline – including your letters of recommendation! Start asking your advisers for references now, and be sure to read each award’s description so you know exactly what is required.

I think I’m qualified for both the CPOW and Education Travel Awards. Can I apply for both?

Yes, you can apply for multiple travel awards, as many as you are eligible for. However, you can only be selected to WIN one award.

 Oops! I forgot to submit my abstract by October 1. But I am going to submit a late abstract! Can I still apply for a Travel Award?

No. Only abstracts submitted by the regular deadline (October 1) will be eligible for a Travel Award.

I am a co-author on an abstract, but not a presenting author. Can I apply for a Travel Award?

In most cases, no. For all Education, MAC, and International awards, you MUST be a presenting author on the abstract. If you are not a presenting author, your abstract will be marked as ineligible. This also applies to CPOW awards for postdocs. The only exception is the mid-career CPOW award, for which you must be a co-author or presenting author on a submitted abstract.

When will I find out if I won?

You will be notified on the outcome of your application via email by November 21. Be sure to check your spam folder if you don’t see the email.

My adviser would rather send the letter of recommendation directly to you. Where exactly should he/she send it?

Letters of recommendation can be emailed to Laura Phelan, lphelan@biophysics.org. If your adviser prefers ‘snail mail,’ please have them send it to the attention of Laura Phelan at the Society Office. We are located at 11400 Rockville Pike Suite 800, Rockville, MD 20852. Whether emailed or mailed, all letters must be received (not postmarked!) by the October 3 deadline.

 I am not a US citizen, but I am still a minority researching in the US. Why can’t I apply for the MAC Travel Award?

Because the MAC Travel Awards are funded by an NIH grant, only US citizens or permanent US residents are eligible. Please be sure to check out the Education or CPOW awards to see if you qualify.

I am applying for an Education Travel Award as a postdoc. Why is the application asking me to answer all the questions for undergrads and grad students?

Postdoc Education Travel Awards only require a CV and a copy of your abstract. Please fill out all of the extra questions with ‘n/a’. When the site asks you to upload a copy of a faculty recommendation letter, simply upload a copy of your CV instead. Let us know if you have questions.

I’m international but I live/research/study in the US. Aren’t I still eligible for an International Travel Award?

No, you are not eligible. You must be living and conducting research OUTSIDE of the US in order to qualify for an International Travel Award. If you live/work/study in the US, no matter your origins, you are not eligible for this award.

 But I’m an international postdoc living/researching in the US. Does this mean there are no Travel Awards available to me?

All postdocs are eligible for the Education Travel Award. If you are a female postdoc, you may also be eligible for the CPOW Travel Award. Be sure to review eligibility requirements online.

I am currently a graduate student. However, by the time of the Annual Meeting I will be a postdoc. What award should I apply for?

You should apply for the awards that fits your career level as of October 3. In your case, you must apply as a graduate student.

I am no longer a student or a postdoc. Am I eligible for a Travel Award?

MAC, CPOW, and the International Relations Committee all offer travel awards for junior, senior, and/or mid-career scientists. Please check eligibility requirements online to see if you qualify for any of these awards.

Still confused? Please contact the Society Office at (240)-290-5600 or lphelan@biophysics.org.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s