To welcome you to San Diego for the week, several local businesses have offered YOU, the #bps12 attendee, discounts or freebies when you show them your meeting badge. Make sure to review this list and share with your friends to make the most out of your free time in San Diego.
In addition, the vendors marked with have generously contributed prizes to the BPS Facebook “check in” raffle. Directions on how to the enter the raffle are at the end of this post.
FOOD AND DRINK:
- Fred’s Mexican Cafe: free house appetizer (1 per table)
Happy hour is from 4-7 PM, Fred’s is known for margaritas and Taco Tuesday from 4 PM-close ($2-$3 Tacos and drink specials all night)
- Donovan’s: $3 draft beers anytime, free luxury shuttle from any BPS hotel and convention center to the restaurant. Shuttle will make continuous loops, you may flag down the shuttle with the Donovan’s logo from anywhere in San Diego for a free ride! Half-price signature cocktails and martinis and complimentary mini prime filet steak sandwiches from 4-6 PM. At both Donovan’s Seafood and Donovan’s Steak and Chop House.
- Buster’s Beach House Seaport Village: 15% discount on food (except Happy Hour)
This restaurant with a festive beach-y atmosphere is one of the closest venues to the Convention Center. Buster’s is well known for its Buffet Champagne Sunday Brunch. The restaurant also has live entertainment in the bar and lounge areas every Friday and Saturday night, starting at 8:00 PM. Happy Hour is available every day from 3-6 PM. Buster’s is located directly on the waterfront with 180-degree panoramic views of the Coronado Bridge.
- Jolt n Joe’s: 20% off food, $3 drafts/wells/house wines. February 28 special: Free pool for one hour per group.
Daily drink specials, nightlife, ping pong and pool. In the Cantina you can purchase soups, salad, tacos, burritos, bar-food appetizers, burgers, etc. Happy Hour M-F is 4-7 PM with $1 tacos and other specials.
- Hard Rock Cafe: 20% discount on food, non-alcoholic beverages and retail purchases. Free rides on party bus shuttle from the Convention Center to the restaurant.
Happy Hour is 4-8 PM on weekdays, and 10 PM-close on the weekends. Free shuttle to and from Hard Rock Cafe for all Annual Meeting attendees during lunch hours and possibly Happy Hour. The shuttle is a limo party bus equipped with satellite radio, disco ball and Hard Rock staff to entertain! No waiting for a table (they’ll be ready for you), quick transportation to and from, and the ultimate ROCKSTAR experience.
- Shakespeare Pub and Grille: 20% off order
The Shakespeare Pub & Grille has the atmosphere of a local British pub, with a good selection of beer and quality food at a reasonable price. Menu items are made from scratch by their award-winning British chef, Thomas Beatty, who prepares such complexities from Chips & Gravy to Shepherd’s Pie, Gammon Steak, Chicken Pot Pie, Steak and Kidney Pie, Ploughman’s Plate, and of course, their famous Fish & Chips.
- Croce’s Jazz Bar: 20% off all specialty drinks, FREE entrance into Jazz bar with live music every weeknight (21+)
This restaurant and Jazz Bar is Ingrid Croce’s tribute to her late husband, singer-songwriter Jim Croce. Led by Executive Chef James Clark, Croce’s prepares seasonal American food with an Italian soul, using fresh local ingredients. The menu is complemented by an award-winning wine list including an outstanding selection of wines by the glass.
- Grumpy Dan’s Grill: Buy one entree, get the second half-price (including prime rib dinner)
This restaurant is just across the bay on the historic island of Coronado. Take the ferry, water taxi or 5-minute cab ride over the Coronado Bay Bridge. Grumpy Dan’s Grill doubles as the 19th hole at the scenic Coronado Golf Course. Breakfast begins at 5:30 AM daily. Happy Hour is daily from 3-6 PM and features authentic New York Street Dogs, Street Tacos and Slider Sandwiches. Their award-winning Thursday and Sunday Night Prime Rib Dinner [Call for Prime Rib reservations at (619) 435-1740] is notable because the prime rib is slow-cooked for 24 hours!
- Cheese Shop Restaurant: free drink (coffee, juice or soda) with purchase of any entree
Good for a quick sandwich (“to-go” available) or to sit for a quick breakfast.
- Currant Brasserie (Sofia Hotel): Free “popcorn of the moment” with any purchase
This is a French bistro-style eatery and bar with unique decor. If you are staying at the Sofia Hotel, don’t miss this one! Popcorn of the moment is not your average movie-snack: variations have included cheese/olives/pancetta, blue cheese/walnut/rosemary, and bacon/cheese/ranch dressing. Who knows what they will come up with next?
- La Jolla Wine Tours: For 6-9 tickets: 8% discount, for 10-19 tickets: 12% discount, 20+ tickets: 15% discount. Additional percentage off when booked in blocks ahead of time. La Jolla offers a wine country tour, a wine train tour, a brewery tour, and walking tours.
- Pirate Ship Adventures: 10% discount
This themed adventure is filled with swashbuckling pirates, plenty of rum, and water cannons to defend from attack!
- San Diego Sky Tours: 25% off any 3+ passenger sky tours (just mention BPS)
For those not afraid of heights! These specialized sightseeing tours showcase San Diego’s world famous landmarks, urban tourist attractions, and majestic natural landscapes. There is also a chance of catching a glimpse of a passing whale, jumping dolphins and sunbathing seals on every Sky Tour.
- Brew Hop: 10% discount (minimum of 4 people for group tour, must book 24 hours in advance and mention BPS convention)
Brew Hop Packages include hot rides and “rock star” access to their brewery partners. Try “The Tasters” tour, a 2.5-hour tour for beginners or “The Beer Connoisseurs” tour, a 5-hour tour for the more advanced. Ride In Style Stretch Hummers, stretch Escalades, stretch 300M’s, and luxury limousines (the size of the party determines the ride).
- USS Midway: $2 off per person
Guests can spend the day exploring more than 60 exhibits with a collection of 25 restored aircraft. The self-guided audio tour, narrated by Midway sailors, brings the carrier’s history to life. Those who dare can “take to the sky” aboard one of three flight simulators.
- Belmont Park: $5 off an Unlimited Ride wristband (only open Friday and Saturday)
San Diego’s beachfront amusement park with free parking and admission. Rides for all ages along with a wave pool, laser tag, and other boardwalk attractions.
- Another Side of San Diego Tours: 15% discount (use promo code: “bio” when booking online or phone)
However you want to see San Diego, they probably do it. From the standard tour to a variety of other experiences: Helicopter Tours, Horseback Riding Tours, Hot Air Balloon Flights, Sightseeing Tours, Sailing Tours, Kayaking Tours, Hiking Tours, Segway Tours, etc. If you will be traveling to LA, they have offered to extend the discount to that city as well.
- LegoLand: 10% off tickets ( www.legoland.com/hoteletix and use the promo code 295-NCHotel)
60+ rides, shows, and attractions–all revolving around Legos! This one is great for the kids, or the kids at heart.
- Museum of Making Music: 50% off
This museum lets visitors interactively discover a century of instruments and innovations that helped shape American popular music.
In order to enter the BPS Facebook check-in raffle to win prizes donated by these businesses:
- Check-in to the Biophysical Society meeting on Facebook
- Within 3 hours, present the screen or page to the Society Booth for your raffle ticket. You must have a meeting badge and be registered for the meeting to claim a prize.
- You may enter once per day from February 24-29. Winners will be contacted after the drawing each day.
Good luck and enjoy your stay in San Diego!